What you will be doing here:
- Variety! You won’t be stuck working on just one product or one process. Most days you will work on at least three different projects. From small code changes, fixes, and enhancements, to large new design builds, redesigns, section overhauls… No getting bored! (As a break from coding, would you like to design a book cover?)
- You will get to implement, troubleshoot, and experiment with cutting edge technologies, our evolving custom CMS, and a whole load of supporting materials and third-party challenges.
- You will be doing work that is tied to the real world, not an arbitrary launch and hand-off.
- You’ll be immersed both in web development AND in book publishing! You will get to work on famous author sites as well as up-and-coming authors breaking into the field.
What you will NOT be doing here:
- You will not work under a micro-management umbrella. No one has the time!
- You won’t be the only person who works on “your part,” so you won’t be under-supported. You want to run something by someone? Turn to the person sitting next to you and actually talk it through, or message them on Slack and ask for input.
- You won’t be talking to clients. (Isn’t that nice?)
- You won’t be working overtime as a matter of course. We believe strongly in the quality of life, and that means at the end of the workday we leave work. Really.
Qualifications & Skills:
We don’t expect you to be an expert at everything—we are learning all the time ourselves. Nevertheless, you should have the following:
- Extensive knowledge of WordPress. Familiarity with templates, child themes, custom post types, custom fields, and custom taxonomies.
- Strong understanding of PHP.
- Experience with Sass/SCSS
- A command with mobile development, including responsive design.
- Expert navigation of the Mac OS environment (and a solid understanding of the Windows environment, too).
Not necessary, but a big plus:
- A strong visual eye (meaning you have a little bit of visual designer in you, too.)
- Fluency in Photoshop (Illustrator is employed far less. But if you’ve got it, flaunt it!)
BONUS SKILLS: eCommerce? Mobile app work? Anything else? Surprise us…
Responsibilities & Expectations:
- Build/update sites, pages, theme files, style sheets. Manage conditionals, find solutions, adeptly and efficiently troubleshoot. Address responsive issues at all viewports.
- Maintain a high respect for established code standards and syntax — other developers will need to read your work.
- Manage tasks both big and small in timely, budget-conscious fashion, and often in rapid, iterative cycles.
- Enhance existing interfaces and collateral material with new layouts, functions, and content while maintaining brand, established standards… and a sense of humor.
- And expected of the whole team →
- This is a staff position for a W-2 employee. This is NOT for contract/freelance.
- Either full-time or part-time will be considered. Please indicate your preference.
- This position is in-house only. Thanks to all work-from-homers (and the work-from-halfway-around-the-globe-types), but the nature of this job requires your physical presence. You must be able to work from either our Oakland studio or Denver location. After many months of on-the-job immersion, some remote work will possibly be feasible.
- Where you start depends upon your incoming skill set and experience. How quickly you rise up depends upon performance. Please include your annual earning requirements with your application. (← This is important. Without this, your application is incomplete.)
Please introduce yourself as a potential fit to this unique team in a cover letter. Tell us something about this job post that resonated with you, and why. Be sure to include your salary requirements. And please don’t waste our time or yours with a canned letter, thanks.
Also send your resume that lists your experience and accurately describes your skills, being clear and honest where you are proficient vs. barely knowledgeable. (A mere LinkedIn profile URL is not enough.)
Go ahead, show off
- Provide a link to your online, quality portfolio that demonstrates what you’ve been doing for the last 2+ years.
- Your portfolio should contain relevant work samples, and whatever else will make you stand out from the crowd. We’re interested in all your work: both your awesome coding and your beautiful visuals. And we also want to see more than just what people have paid you to create—what do you like to create?
- If we can’t click through to the site we can’t view your code. If your portfolio is merely flat screens… well, you can see how that’s not enough for us to go on. If you are linking to a github, give some context.
- Please describe honestly how much of the code you yourself wrote, and which of the visual elements you designed. If you worked on a team, be clear what your role was. If you inherited the project, describe the state you got it in, and what your subsequent tasks were.
Send it off
Please put I WANT TO BE YOUR NEW DEVELOPER in your email subject line, and make sure that any attachments have your name in the file name (imagine how many resume.pdf files we get).
All applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
No phone calls, please.
And absolutely no recruiters.
Ideally we’d like you to start immediately, but finding the right fit is more important than filling a workstation with a warm body. Please don’t presume that the position is gone if the posting is a several weeks old. We will be accepting applications until we find our perfect match, and remember that we eventually want a couple of developers to join our team. We do not anticipate that it will happen overnight.
More info about Waxcreative:
the studio, this team, our company culture…
If you are the type to really read up on a company before applying, we’ve listed more info for you here. Want additional info? We’ve written more about being on this unique team.
EXPECTED OF THE WHOLE TEAM:
- Expertly execute, follow, and develop internal and client strategy.
- Follow established internal standards. All our projects need to have very similar syntax and structure.
- Carry a critical understanding of digital tools and trends, and be confident and articulate in suggesting ways such trends can be practically applied.
- Communicate effectively: visual, verbal, and the written word. This includes parsing out directives from lengthy documents like this one.
- Show a fierce sense of ownership about the quality of the work you call Done. (You might be surprised as to how many developers don’t take the time to check their work.)
SOME OF WHAT WE OFFER:
- VARIETY: From site design, development, and maintenance, to book cover design and assorted printwork — also product support, copywriting, social networking strategies, quality assurance, usability concerns, and just generally being in code warrior mode — there really just isn’t room to get bored.
- BENEFITS: We believe everyone needs time for the business of life. For us, full-time means ~4.5 day weeks. Also paid holiday/sick/vacation days; a 401K; commuter checks; health insurance… the usual suspects.
- EDUCATION: Conferences when logistics permit, online tutorials, challenges from your creative director to “find an elegant solution”… while we expect you will keep your skills honed, Wax will supplement your ongoing training.
- FLEXIBILITY: Wax believes in living your life rather than forcing it around work, and thus offers scheduling flexibility and liberal unpaid leave time as deadlines permit.
- ENVIRONMENT: Our studio environment is open (no cubicles), and it’s Office Casual every day. When weather permits, the door is open to the outside.
- TREATS: Our snack cupboard is stocked and coffee’s brewing… And we bring in lunch on team birthdays!
MORE QUICK WAX FACTS:
- We are a small but fast-paced, woman-owned enterprise with eight workstations (and two adorable studio cats, so please don’t be allergic).
- We are located in Lower Rockridge bordering Temescal in North Oakland. Parking is easy and BART is easier—a ten minute-walk from the Rockridge station and a mere mile from Macarthur.
- We are walking distance to Bakesale Betty, Trader Joe’s, Market Hall, and lots of other yummy lunch spots!
- Our work space is surrounded by a yard and garden.
- We have client relationships going back 15+ years, and rarely go more than a week without a request for proposal. We have never needed to market outside of our oft-neglected, cobbler’s-kids website. No one at Wax has ever had to go out and drum up work.